Call Your Delegates About Governor Tomblin's Terrible Bill!
In the House, opposition to the Governor's bill is bipartisan, and several members of the select committee oppose it. It's possible the House will kill the bill, or at least fix some of the worst provisions.
Please tell them that the Governor's bill is terrible. If you are especially concerned about a provision in the bill, please mention it.
These are our concerns about the bill:
- Does not allow public notice and comment period for drilling applications.
- Does not require DEP to regulate air emissions at well sites.
- Allows gas wells to be too close to homes, water wells, and streams.
- Allows onsite burial of pit waste.
- Allows DEP to issue waivers for many requirements.
- Does not protect areas of Karst geology from drilling operations.
- Fails to require companies to negotiate with surface owners.
- Removes protections for drilling in special and sensitive areas.
Please email, call or visit your Delegate as soon as possible to urge them to stop Tomblin’s travesty. At this point, they’re the only ones who can stop this train wreck.